2022 EHE Playoffs & Draft Lottery

Essential information & updates
Kevin
EHE Founder

2022 EHE Playoffs & Draft Lottery

Post by Kevin » Mon. Jun. 20, 2022 3:00 pm

It's the final week of the regular season! Last night, the 8th and final playoff spot was won in the Gretzky Conference. However, there are still five teams battling for the two wildcard spots in the Lemieux Conference! There's still a lot to be settled for the Calder Cup playoffs as well! It's going to be kind of a quiet week, schedule-wise, to wrap up the regular season but the limited games are going to be that much more important!

Our NHL regular season concludes this Saturday, June 25. I was going to have a single day off in between the end of the regular season and start of playoffs but I forgot that the AHL regular season ends on Sunday. I will be running Sunday's sim around 1pm ET. That will allow me to transition the simulator and the site over to the playoffs as soon as possible. I'm planning to begin NHL playoffs next Monday, June 27. You will still get your normal rest days count towards your player health, even with the quick turnover to the playoffs!

Right now the only series known in either league will be Nashville vs. Dallas. That series will begin on Monday night. Arizona and whomever they play will begin on Tuesday night because I can't resist the opportunity to say that the reason the Justin Bieber concert is postponed on June 30th is because of Game 2 of the Coyotes' playoff series. ;)

AHL playoffs typically start 2-3 days after the NHL games begin, since the first-round is best-of-five. Geography is a major factor of AHL playoff format, so most first-round series are usually a 2-3 format.

I am planning to speed up the sim schedule once again in the later rounds to try to make up for lost time from last year. The first round will absolutely be run as one simulation per day, as normal. The second round might be sped up to two simulations on some days, like it was last year. The conference finals and the Cup finals will definitely be run with both leagues having a game each night. Of course, no team will have two games simulated on the same day and "off days" do still count in favor of your players' condition/health.

Now then, for the formalities...

As every year, teams in the playoffs are expected to always have valid lineups, since this is the reason you are playing sim hockey! You will have one warning for the entire playoffs if your lineups are out of compliance. Anything more than that will result in a fine, which will be double the regular season amount. Any games that lineups are not submitted at all for (blank lines) will result in an automatic fine, just as it was during the regular season.

Teams also have the ability to call up as many players as they want for the NHL playoffs -- However, the simulator still requires you to dress a 20-man team at both levels, even if you no longer have games. Be careful with this if you want to adjust your playoff rosters beyond the usual regular season limits.

Only players who met the AHL Clear Day requirements are permitted to play in the Calder Cup playoffs. Attempts to assign any other players will be rejected and do count towards the one lineup warning in the playoffs, so if you are not sure of a player's eligibility, look it up or ask first!

As alluded to earlier, the AHL playoff format does not necessarily follow a traditional 2-2-1 or 2-2-2-1 schedule. Because of this, our website can have trouble showing who is actually leading a series while it is being played. Please closely follow your game results to verify whether you have won or lost a series!

Now what about the non-playoff teams!

I currently have no date in mind of when the draft lottery will take place. This will be entirely based on my availability and the fact is, my availability really sucks in July. I'm certainly not talking about this pushing all the way into August but this might be a spontaneous thing that I get to record.

This will be the first year of the new lottery format to match the changes the NHL made. Numbers will be randomly drawn (1st, then 2nd) and matched up to the list of numbers that teams will be assigned to, based on their odds of winning, to determine which teams will own the first two picks in the draft. At that point, the draft order from 16 to 1 will be announced. It's looking like the Montréal Canadiens are going to have the highest odds of winning the draft lottery for the third straight year.

There is still a lot of fluctuation about the order of odds for the draft. A lot of teams are really bunched up! You are responsible for dressing a competitive lineup throughout the regular season and the playoffs. I have already had to issue warnings about tanking to two GMs. Don't make bad decisions with your lineup that costs you your chance to win the draft lottery and lose top picks!
Last edited by Kevin on Sat. Jun. 25, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated times

Kevin
EHE Founder

Re: 2022 EHE Playoffs & Draft Lottery

Post by Kevin » Thu. Jun. 23, 2022 3:09 am

My Saturday plan is already by the wayside. I forgot that the AHL schedule won't conclude until Sunday. So I'll run Saturday's sim at around 7pm ET. Then Sunday will be run at 1pm ET.

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Sun. Jun. 26, 2022 7:30 pm

The site is now completely transitioned over to the playoffs. Just an FYI that no one is currently over the salary cap, even though the GM info page shows that some teams are. In the playoffs, I have to use a different financial stat to display payroll because since there is no salary cap for the playoffs, it displays all teams as having a $0 payroll. Those overages that you see are the full NHL salaries, including buried one-way contracts.

In creating the playoff schedules, I tried to limit the number of games being played on July 1 and July 4 for holidays in Canada and the States. Really the only arena that had event conflicts was Rogers Place in Edmonton, which is why there is a game on July 4. I also scheduled Penguins-Flyers Game 4 because it seemed like a very ESPN thing to show that rivalry game at 1pm.

As for the sim schedule, I do plan to go out of town for the holiday weekend so my availability is going to be pretty erratic. I do know that I want to sim early on July 4 and I'm thinking sometime around 3pm that day. I return early on July 5 but have a playoff game that night that isn't scheduled yet. Then July 8, I have to work out of town to begin our big project for work. I'll see if Eric can sim that day.

Expected sim schedule -
Mon. 6/27 - 10pm ET
Tue. 6/28 - 10pm ET
Wed. 6/29 - 10pm ET
Thu. 6/30 - 10pm ET
Fri. 7/1 - 10pm ET
Sat. 7/2 - Eric sim
Sun. 7/3 - ~8pm ET

Mon. 7/4 - ~3pm ET
Tue. 7/5 - 9pm ET
Wed. 7/6 - 10pm ET
Thu. 7/7 - 10pm ET
Fri. 7/8 - 10pm ET
Sat. 7/9 - 8pm ET
Sun. 7/10 - 8pm ET

*if necessary

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 12:01 am

Here is the Draft Lottery Lookup Chart for everyone's randomly-assigned "lottery balls."
Once again, I don't yet know a date of when the EHE Draft Lottery will be held!

The odds of winning the EHE draft lottery are exactly the same as how they are determined in the real NHL:

MTL: 18.5%
CBJ*: 14.0%
STL^: 13.5%
TB: 11.5%
BOS`: 10.5%
MIN: 9.5%
ANA: 6.5%
NYR: 6.0%
OTT: 3.5%
NJ: 2.5%
WSH: 2.0%
SEA: 1.5%
SJ#: 0.5%

* combined from Colorado and own picks
^ combined from Winnipeg and own picks
` combined from Chicago and Vancouver picks
# from NY Islanders

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 4:46 am

Round 2 is going to start on Sunday with one single game: Golden Knights vs. Kings, since those teams have been sitting idle for a few days. On Monday, both Lemieux Conference series' will begin: Hurricanes vs. Flyers and Sabres vs. Bruins.

The Predators series will start either Tuesday (if vs. Arizona) or Wednesday (if vs. Calgary).

Currently there is only one AHL divisional final series set: Tucson vs. Bakersfield. This 2-3-2 series will begin on Wednesday and there will be one back-to-back situation between games 4 and 5 (if necessary).

Only Colorado and Utica are the other teams who have advanced so far and both are middle seeds, making it impossible to pre-plan the rest of the AHL series until they are finished.

I think the "Days" in the sim schedule are going to get screwed up by this so I wanted to let you know when the actual simulations will occur.

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 11:17 pm

As I thought, the sim jumped in the number of days after the early finish to round 1. Day "17" is Monday, though there will only be NHL games played.

The second round of the AHL playoffs will begin on Tuesday. Both Western series' will be 2-3-2. Surprisingly, the Eastern series' will actually be 2-2-1-1-1.

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Wed. Jul. 20, 2022 6:33 pm

My brain is totally fried but TODAY IS LOTTERY DAY! I hope to have the results posted by the end of the night.

I want to thank you all for being patient!

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Fri. Jul. 22, 2022 11:08 am

Eric is going to sim tonight so that I can spend time with visiting friends from out of town. I'm not sure what time I'll be available to sim Saturday and Sunday. Right now I only have plans to be out tonight. If something changes, I'll let you know.

Technical difficulties and overall fatigue (which probably was both a result of and contributed further to the fatigue) are why the draft lottery video isn't up yet. Those of you who attended live on Discord know the results. ;) Everyone else will unfortunately have to wait until Saturday.

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 11:02 pm

With only one game on Day 31, I'll be simulating both Days 30 & 31 on Sunday.

The Gretzky Conference Finals will begin on Monday night between the Knights and Coyotes!
The Lemieux Conference Finals will begin on Tuesday night between the winner of the Bruins/Sabres series and the Flyers!

The Moose will begin their AHL Conference Final series with the winner of the Roadrunners/Condors series on Tuesday. I'm not sure yet whether the Comets will start their series with the winner of the Battle of Carolinas on Tuesday or Wednesday yet.

Starting on Wednesday Sunday, we'll probably be doing "double-sim" most of the rest of the playoffs. Player condition will recover as it normally would as if the games were simulated on separate days. No team will have two games simulated on any one real day. If a GM requests to keep their day off because they need the time to make a lineup adjustment, then the second simulation would be pushed to the next night and only one would be run that night. Here is the current plan:

Expected sim schedule -
Sun. 7/24 - Days 30/31

Mon. 7/25 - Days 32/33
Tue. 7/26 - Days 34/35
Wed. 7/27 - Days 36/37
Thu. 7/28 - Days 38/39
Fri. 7/29 - Days 40/41
Sat. 7/30 - Days 42/43*
Sun. 7/31 - Days 44*/45*
Mon. 8/1 - Day 46*

*if necessary
Last edited by Kevin on Wed. Jul. 27, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
EHE Founder

Post by Kevin » Sun. Jul. 31, 2022 11:39 pm

Alright the finals are upon us! Final week of the EHE season! I'll be heading out on vacation this week so Eric will be simulating several of the days in this round. I believe his sims will be sometime around 11pm ET.

The Stanley Cup Finals will begin on Monday night between Arizona and Buffalo. The Calder Cup Finals will start on Wednesday. Should there be an injury that is not addressed during this round, the sim will stall for one day to give the team additional time during this rushed schedule. Here's the expected schedule for remainder of the playoffs:

Expected sim schedule -
Mon. 8/1 - Days 46/"47"
Tue. 8/2 - Day 49
Wed. 8/3 - Days 50/51
Thu. 8/4 - Days 52/53
Fri. 8/5 - Days 55/56*
Sat. 8/6 - Days 57*/58*
Sun. 8/7 - Days 59*/60*
Mon. 8/8 - Day 61*
Tue. 8/9 - Day 63*

*if necessary